Thursday, January 1, 2009

Struck by New Years in Ottawa

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven

Well I'm not paralyzed but I seem to be struck by you. That's how that song goes. Similarly, that's how I was feeling last night about the way things went down over New Years. Ironically, or well more of a pun on my part that's the first song I heard as the clock struck from 11:59 to 12:00; 2008 to 2009.

I've never really been a "New Years go out and party type person". Actually this marks the first year where I actually went to a New Years countdown and party. Most years I either go to my cousins house because her birthday is on the 1st or I stay home and just sleep it out or stay up till 12:00, say Happy New Years to myself and go back to bed. I know, dorky, but yes that's how its been over the previous years. This year I had more excitement. I was told by many that New Years in Ottawa is breathtaking and amazing as they have fireworks at the Parliament and being the capitol of Canada I found that easy to believe. I would be with my friends and wouldn't have parents to tell me to come home since its too late. It was definitely a night to look forward to.

The night started off as an epic fail as most of my friends I had intended on having over couldn't make it due to last minute events including but not limited to getting grounded or not having a method of getting to my place (yes, the busses are still on strike). It ended up just being the two of us hanging out at my place playing Wii and watching Simpsons. Closer to 11 we got a ride upto the Parliament and were shocked at the lack of people there. We weren't sure what the cause of that was...despite it being -20 degrees Celsius outside, we were doubtful that the cold would stop people on new years. Our strongest hunch was that it'd get busier closer to 12. So we went for a stroll admiring the lights in Ottawa and around 11:40 got back to the Parliament when we heard a band playing and a bunch of people gathered around the National Arts Centre (a little across the Parliament). We followed the sounds and the noise and heard a really good band playing. We ended up watching that and came to the conclusion that that's the best play to hang out.

The band was really good. We were trying to figure out who it was because they sounded very good. 11:58 soon approached and the band got ready to countdown. At this point, we weren't really sure what was going to happen; did they change the fireworks location? maybe the Parliament's fireworks would start right after the band's countdown? The countdown continued...5...4....3....2...1! The stage broke out in sparkle shooters simultaneously while everyone shouted Happy New Years. This was followed by fireworks. The beggining was admittedly very lame with hope for a good finale. The fireworks continued and then ended 2 minutes later. 12:02 and all is done. The fireworks were probably one of the worsts I've seen. They looked like they were those that kids buy at the store and light off at the park with just a little more flare. Majorly dissapointed and shocked my friend and I were both speechless. "WOW?" I thought to myself before saying out loud. 12:03 and the band started again with a really familiar song that turned out to be Paralyzer which is when I established the band was Finger Eleven....or so I figured. It could've been a cover band. After listening to the song (which was on my favourite songs of 2007), we took a cab home.

This brings me to the present, still reflecting on last night. One of the reasons I stayed in Ottawa for new years was to experience the thrills and excitement of New Years in Canada's Capitol. According to many residents in Ottawa, fireworks in Ottawa are amazing and is the best way to experience the change from one year to another. Something went wrong this time around. Despite having a good band to perform, the organization of this year's event was poor. I expected more from the capitol city of Canada. I wonder what tourist's must have thought when they saw the celebration or little of in Canada's capitol. Not only was it a dissapointment but it was also a reflection on Canada itself. Maybe part of it was because of the OC Transpo strike? If so, that brings up another venting issue (read entry titled "I Walk Alone"). Even still, New Years celebrations shouldn't be dependant on whether the busses are running or not. Although the New Year's experience wasn't the greatest, the lights around the cirty Parliament and music did have some redemption. Let's just say this being the first time going out for New Years, it may very well be the last...at least in Ottawa.



2 comments:

lakeofdreams said...

aww, im so sorry this was your first experience and it ended up not going well. i hope the years to come will be much better. the pictures you have up here are still very pretty. enjoy the most out of it bb :)

.kate-lynn said...

Sorry your new years didnt go as planned but at least you got some kind of expeirence out of it! :) Next year we'll have our own epic new years :p