Thursday, February 4, 2010

Forgiveness

Forgiveness - Anna Faris

Forgiveness, is more than saying sorry. Forgiveness, is accepting people's flaws…To forgive is divine, so let's have a glass of wine, and have make-up sex, until the end of…time, time, time, time.

This song from the movie Just Friends, though a bit humorous, does have a way of connecting to my blog post today.

I was watching Desperate Housewives earlier this morning, season 2 to be specific (I'd get the episode name and number, but that would make me too nerdy). In this season, a character named George is obsessed with Bree to the extent that he'd do anything to get her…this included killing her husband, her therapist, provoking her son and getting him sent to boarding school, and burning the car of her ex fling. When Bree finally realized this, she broke it off with him causing George to overdose on pills. When Bree came to realize this, she told him that she can still forgive him provided that he accepts his mistake.

Why am I telling you this? Well, this scenario got me thinking that in life, one of the hardest things to do is forgive, and at the same time, it can be just as hard to accept your flaws, mistakes, and wrong-doings. But why do we make this hard for ourselves? Accepting your flaws and mistakes may seem embarrassing to you or a loss of pride for some, but in reality, I believe accepting flaws and mistakes, is not only the honourable thing to do, but you will look like a better person. If I were Bree, I would be in no position to forgive George, but then I thought, what if by forgiving the wrongdoer, they actually learn their lesson. I'm sure George didn't expect her to forgive him, but what if her forgiveness would cause George to get help, get him to change, and maybe seek redemption by doing right in this world. People do deserve a second chance. I'm not one to bring religion in to things, but I learned that in the Islamic faith, not forgiving a person who asks for forgiveness, is equivalent to destroying the holy Ka'Bah 10 times. My statistics may be erroneous, and of course many readers are of different faiths, but the example does put it in a sort of perspective, does it not?

Life is short, and you never know what's going to happen next. I'm not going to lie, I've been guilty of both; not owning up to my mistakes, or to keep my pride high, i wouldn't admit to loss or correction and at the same time, I would also hold some everlasting grudges. Who hasn't? But I believe that if someone apologizes and asks for forgiveness, and they seem sincere about it, forgive them. If its something extreme or something huge, you can forgive them and just keep your distance from that person, but at least forgive them. You'll feel good about yourself and maybe even set an example for the other person. As to owning up to mistakes, and admitting that you were wrong…yes, it is a hard thing to do, and your pride and even your ego may feel hurt, but it is (like I mentioned before), the honourable thing to do.

In this world, we don't like to be judged by others, so in return, we should also avoid passing judgement, and leave it to the hierarchy, or if you don't believe in a supreme power, leave it to karma. What goes around, comes around.

No comments: