Monday, June 7, 2010

Adventures at Vervegirl

As many of you guys know, I've been interning at Vervegirl Magazine for the last few months now, however I haven't really blogged about my experiences as a intern at the company. These past few weeks have been quite busy with various projects I've completed and am currently working on, so I feel now is a great time to write about some of my adventures at Vervegirl!

Although I have been interning there for almost 7 months now (I can't believe its been that long!), these past few months have been a few of the most eventful! It started with the February issue of the magazine in which my name finally began getting published in the header of the magazine. It was definitely an exciting and exhilarating feeling seeing my name in the magazine. Following this, I had quite a few projects lined up which included editing a behind-the-scenes interview of Jesse Labelle on the set of his upcoming music video, Lost.





After editing the interview and getting the A-OK to have it posted online it was on to the next project right away which included editing an event held by model Stacey McKenzie called the Walk This Way workshop. Editing this event was a lot of fun because there was so much going on which made the video very progressive and fun with lots of cuts, edits, music, and titles! Definitely a lot going on which made it a fun video. Similar in style, the next video was editing the May/June behind the scenes cover shoot video featuring Tara Jean Popowich, winner of So You Think You Can Dance Canada Season 2. This video was not only a lot of fun to edit, but it was also fun seeing the interview done with Tara who was really professional and down to earth!

Following this project, a bigger door opened for me at Vervegirl; I had a little meeting with one of my superiors at the office, the online editor, and we spoke about my time there thus far, and about what I would like to get out of the internship, etc. It was a refreshing talk as she understood a lot about my passion for media and "promoted" me almost to a cinematographer or videographer for the company! This let me not only edit the behind the scenes videos, or interviews, but also put me behind the camera and let me film such events. It was definitely an honour for me to get bumped up to that position!

Since then, my first official film project was supposed to be an interview with UK singer, Kate Nash, however that fell through due to conflicting schedules. My first official film project then became an interview done with Ottawa up-and-coming singer, Alex Lacasse at the Vervegirl studios. Having previously "met" him at a Hedley concert, and exchanging conversations via Twitter, it was definitely nice to finally meet and speak to him face-to-face at the interview. Filming the interview was a lot of fun as I got to use two cameras, so I was able to have different angles and shots for the editing process. Alex Lacasse was a very nice guy, not to mention he is extremely talented and focussed on the direction and where he wants to go. He not only writes his own songs, he produces the beats and rhythms using software at home, writes for other artists like Girlicious, all this and his debut album hasn't even come out yet! He's definitely an artist to watch out for! The edited product came out very nice as well. Check it out below and here.






The next event that I got to film was another interview, this time with Canadian R&B sensation, Karl Wolf. He came in for an interview at Vervegirl studios to speak about his single 80s Baby, and his career thus far. Again, I was able to use two cameras to film which made it a really fun project. The interviewer from Vervegirl who took his interview did an amazing job keeping flow and interest in their conversation and keeping it well engaged...this was all impressive as it was her first interview she did. Very impressive (I'll post a link once it is edited). Karl was also a very nice guy who also has a major focus on his career. He has some great aspirations for his music videos and a potential acting career. He produces his own songs and also directs his own music videos. His songs are heavily infectious also and most carry a flavour of Middle Eastern music which make them that much more appealing!




In between the two videos, I edited another behind the scenes video, this one was the Fanshawe College annual Unbound Fashion Show. This project was fun to edit, and I was able to incorporate Lady GaGa's song Fashion in it, which made me happy as it is one of my favourite's of hers. My latest project began just this Friday when I filmed an interview done with super-talented singer, Charice. Known for her amazing voice and the story of her rise to stardom, Charice was very charismatic and proved how amazing her voice was by singing some acapella for us! The video should be up shortly, but in the meantime you can check out a link to a Vervegirl tidbit on her here.

Looking into the future, I already have a few exciting projects that might happen in the next few weeks. I don't want to give anything away just in case it doesn't happen, but I will know very soon. Definitely excited not only for that, but my continuously growth with Vervegirl.





I am very grateful to have had this opportunity to intern at Vervegirl come across me, and would like to thank everyone at the headquarters for being so amazing and making me feel like home every time I am there. My skills as an editor and now as a videographer have been growing so much since I've started and I've learned so much from this internship. Not only that, but after going to University for a completely opposite field, it is nice to intern somewhere where I can live out my other dream and passion which is in media. Thank you Vervegirl!

I leave you with some of my videos below. They can all be seen on www.vervegirl.com! Make sure to follow Vervegirl and their amazing staff on Twitter at:

I look forward to updating with you with more adventures as they happen!

For now, peace and love,

Khizer

No comments: