Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Concert Review: Lil Wayne & Nicki Minaj

This past weekend was quite exciting for me as I was fortunate enough to go see Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj live in concert in Buffalo, NY. As a fan of Weezy and even bigger fan of Nicki, when I saw they weren’t coming anywhere in Canada that was close to me, my friend and I decided to drive down to Buffalo to check out the show. Buffalo was actually the best alternative spot that the concert could’ve been as I used to travel there often as a kid and have some great memories of different places and stores there. Needless to say, I also love Niagara Falls so we were hitting many birds with one stone....OH and I also love long drives and road trips so yes, definitely hitting many birds with one stone. I love doing that. Poor birds...maybe they shouldn't chirp so much or let loose on cars all the time.


What was cool about going to the concert was that I had to write a review for MuchMusic as part of my correspondence for them SO you can check out the review of the concert by clicking HURR.


If you don’t care to click a link and read a whole article on the concert; I’ll give you the Sparksnotes’ version....AMAZING.





Nicki Minaj, who was the only reason I would actually travel that far to see, was incredible. Although fresh to the mainstream scene, she was able to put on an arena show with no difficulty. She handled and owned the stage like a pro and performed songs from her album and features a like. Seeing her rap her rhymes live was just amazing. The same can be said about Lil Wayne. He’s been in the game for so long so he’s no newbie to the stage and that was evident in his performance. What was cool about the performance was how Nicki was integrated in the show. Instead of performing as an opener, Wayne brought her out midway through his set - she performed her set - and then he came back on. It was neat!! If any of you guys get a chance and are fans deff make it a point to check both of them out live. If you aren’t fans, well, check it out anyways...you might just be converted.





Porcelain Black was the initial opener who was recently signed to the Young Money roster. She was ok... she seemed a little lost in who she was but she could have some potential. After her performance, they premiered her video for This Is What Rock N Roll Looks Like produced by RedOne and featuring Lil Wayne and she came down in the audience and watched it as it premiered.Travis Barker and Rick Ross opened for the two of them; but having VIP tickets caused us to miss them as that’s when we were taken to see Nicki Minaj back stage. We did however see Travis Barker perform a little of Can A Drummer Get Some and it looked like he had an awesome set as well. His stage set up was actually really cool as it was made in the shape of boombox and him and his drums were placed in where one of the speakers would be. Swag.








So best part of the story...meeting Nicki Minaj. Definitely not what I was expecting it to be; for someone who has so much fierceness and attitude in their raps, she’s one of the nicest and most down to earth celebs I have ever met. For starters, her team was making her out to be a diva saying she wasn’t allowed to sign anything but body parts, and not to hug her and yadda yadda but upon meeting her she was the one to initiate the hugs. She was especially grateful for us for driving all the way from Ottawa so we got extra hugs. Bonus. She signed our little laminates (in a perfect world I would’ve gotten my CD signed but they told us she wouldn’t so I put it away...little did we know ha ) and personalized them for both of us. She was really nice, and very appreciative for our dedication in coming down and I teased and asked her why she didn’t come closer; and she explained how she wanted to but it wasn’t fitting into the schedule or something like that but she does want to come and perform there. Before leaving, she gave us both hugs and told us to have a safe drive back. Very sweet. In addition to being super sweet and down to earth, she was also super hot and super tiny with a big booty. Something about that doesn’t make sense so I’m sure the derriere might not be completely natural but regardless, she looked amazing!





All in all, the trip and the concert were epic. Like I said above, I would definitely urge both fans and non-fans to check both of them out live. It will be money well spent and you might just be converted.



No comments: