Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On Set Of...Turn It Up

Turn It Up - Stereos

Turn it up, turn it up, turn it up now. Get in the back 'cause we're driving just to get down. Turn it up, turn it up, turn it up now.

Those were the lyrics to the upcoming single by Stereos that my friend and I heard over a thousand times on November 24th, 2009 when we attended the music video shoot for the song.

It was all really last minute. I had read on Twitter that they were looking for some extras for the
music video shoot (at the time the song name wasn't given). All they wanted was a picture and availability on the day of the shoot. I jumped on the boat; even if it was just the role of an extra, I figured it would be some good experience for me attending a music video shoot considering film,
music and television is one of my great passions. I also like the band Stereos and missed out on attending their concert so I
thought it would be fun.

They emailed me back a day before the shoot and told me they liked my picture and disclosed the address of the shoot (Circa Nightclub in Toronto). They allowed me to bring a friend so
I quickly called one of my friends I hadn't seen in a while who was in my Comm Tech class with me and who I felt would also enjoy the shoot. She agreed excitedly and the next day off to the shoot we went!

They had originally told us to be there for 4:30 however we weren't let in till about 5:30ish. While in line we met some crazy underage groupie fans who were gong gaga for not only being at a Stereos video shoot but being able to get into a club and then we met people who weren't fans at all and just attended to be extras. When let in, we waited on the upper level of the club for a while and eventually the band came out and started shooting solo shots of them performing the song on stage.

After countless takes of those, they brought the extras down to the main area and asked them to partake in the dancing crowd scenes. Of course this was a small if non existent part as there
were about 60+ other people but it was still fun getting into the music and seeing how many takes they did, the different camera angles they shot with and the different cameras used. It was also a pleasure to see hear them use terms such as "cameras rolling, speed" and others. It was also nice to see the crew work, behind the scenes work and different equipment used.The band members were really nice too and would talk to the crowd in between takes and also try and sign things. However, near the end you could tell that they were getting tired especially since many of them were sick as well.

By the end of the shoot we were tired as well. Throughout the shoot they asked to maintain high energy, dance along, sing along, and most of all just show tons of enthusiasm. After tons of takes we sat out for a bit and got some rest and finally joined back in. It was a lot of fun, but vey exhausting as well. Although it was cool to be in the music video and at the shoot we were almost certain that when the video came out we wouldn't be in it, or if we were it would be a glimpse of our hair or finger. Despite that, we made the best of it and had a lot of fun!

The whole shoot definitely brought me back to my highschool days in Comm Tech. It was my favourite class and we did a lot of shooting in studio and on set. Going into the shoot I knew wh
at to expect so it was still a great experience. It also gave me a chance to reconnect with my friend I hadn't seen in over a year. The shoot ended around 11:45 and both of us were ready to pass out. The band members were nice to stay after the shoot and meet with fans so my friend and I got in line.

We were really tired so we couldn't meet all of the members of the band so we met two, Pat (the
lead singer and frontman) and Dan (bass). Both of them were really nice, though you could
definitely tell they were tired...especially Pat. I shook hands with them both and congratulated them on the shoot. I told Pat I'd be attending their Hamilton show in December and he remarked "cool see you there". After taking our pictures, we spoke to some crew members asking them about how they like their work and how they got into it. After some little chit chat, we got ready to end our crazy day and head home.

The day was amazing. We both had a great time reconnecting and got a great experience being at the shoot. Make sure to check out the music video for Turn It Up when it comes out (no date currently known). Till then,

IT'S A WRAP!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWH Khiz, I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time! :D