Monday, January 18, 2010

Ke$ha's Party

Tik Tok - Ke$ha

Now the party don't start till I walk in....

So it would be natural to choose this song to open today's blog. Not only because the blog is about Ke$ha, and the song is her debut hit single, but also because the lyrics did apply to the night I had. Check out the story:

This past weekend, newcomer Kesha or profesionally known as "Ke$ha" held a private album release party in Toronto called "Ke$ha's Party". This invite-only party was only accessible by winning tickets via her wesbite, or through local radio stations. Fortunately, I was able to get my paws on a pass to the event. The party took place at The MOD Club on Sunday January 17th, 2010 making it my first concert of the new year, and furthermore, the new decade. Ironically, Kesha also held the title for the first number one song of the new decade.

Being an event at The MOD Club, I had a few setbacks...the last time I went to the MOD Club for a concert, it didn't end up to well (link to other blog). However, the MOD Club was also known for being a cozy and intimate joint for concerts and because it was invite only, I knew it wouldn't be as overly crowded as it would've been for a regular concert.

Once I arrived at the venue, doors had not yet opened (I was there a few minutes early) so I joined a preformed line. Unlike most concert lineups, this one was rather amusing and entertaining. Three major Toronto radio stations were side by side battling it out. Kiss 92.5 (my favourite of the three) had its radio blasting from their truck with the likes of Lady GaGa and Pitbull playing. They were also handing out postcards advertising their station to everyone in the line. Virgin 99.9 were giving out t-shirts that had their logo over it, persuading people to wear it telling them if they wear the shirt in the venue, they would be qualified for a prize. Lastly, z103.5 were ALSO handing out t-shirts...a bad marketing approach in my opinion as they had no incentive offer with their distrubtion (not that I know of at least). While being amused by these stations, the doors shortly opened and into the party I went.

After getting coats checked, there were professional photographers taking red carpet pictures of
people entering into the party. These pictures were then going to be posted on Kesha's official website. Although some people went straight to the stage or the bar, I got my picture taken on the red carpet which was actually black. It was actually a really cool way of setting up the party, as it did make me feel very VIP and brought out my inner celebrity.

As soon as I got my picture taken, I head right up to the stage and I was lucky enough to get a great spot right up near the stage equivalent to being second row. The stage formation of the MOD club was similar to the Bronson Centre (a concert venue in Ottawa I've been to many times) in that there was no barricade between the stage and the person so you could lean up right against the stage. I was one row behind the people who could be right up at the stage and thus it made the concert very intimate. There was no opening act for Kesha, instead there was a DJ who was cutting top 40 hits and was constantly telling everyone to cheer for Kesha. In between this there was a VIP Contest where if you texted "VIP" to 556677 before 7PM you would be eligible to meet Kesha after the show. I promptly did this and had my fingers crossed the whole time. About 25 minutes later, someone beside me had gotten a winning text so I found out that I didn't win. The DJ kept spinning top 40, and it wasn't till he played "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa that the crowd went crazy again. In fact, I noticed that the crowd was louder when "Just Dance" played than they were when the DJ told the crowd to cheer for Kesha backstage. Eventually after cutting a few more hits, Kesha's band memebers (one who bore a big style resemblance to Lady GaGa) began setting a few things up meaning she would be arriving soon.

Shortly, the band members took their place and began playing Kesha's verse from Flo Rida's #1 hit, "Right Round". As it played, Kesha entered with a bang and started the show with "Backstabber". The performance was a great start to the show, and with the one song, Kesha really showed how the "party doesn't start 'till she walks in". She came dressed in a custom made outif wearing a black shirt with her trademark $ sign on it, tons of glitter, and a sequenced "diaper" as she called it. In addition, she had these really cool gloves on that had a laster pointer on each finger tips that flashed red lights through the crowd as she moved her hands and performed. In addition to accessories, the performance was backed with great choreography and she made use of the stage acting out lyrics and performing great dance steps. With all this, she definitely started the show with a bang.
Continuing on with the same recipe, Kesha went on to perform 5 more songs which included "Party at a Rich Dude's House", "Dinosaur", "Your Love Is My Drug", "Blah Blah Blah" and "Tik Tok". Of these performances, Dinosaur was a highlight for me as it included some really interesting choreography and an interlude in the middle where Kesha started playing a bell and a guitar with her tongue. During "Party at a Rich Dude's House" she had a bucket of beer (or some liquid substance) thrown over her as part of her act. During "Your Love Is My Drug", Kesha stated that it was the first time she ever performed the song. "Blah Blah Blah" that features 3OH!3 on the album version, had Kesha singing by herslef in the live performance (though she said that they were supposed to be at the show but didn't show up). Lastly, "Tik Tok" was probably the song that got the most cheer and sing along. It was also the final song in her set, with no encore. "Thank you Toronto," and she was gone.

After she left, the venue turned into a club for the night and although they weren't letting other people in, the already admitted people were allowed to stay as they played Kesha's record "Animal". Although most people left, many people just stayed and danced away. It wasn't long before I noticed that Kesha herself was still at the venue doing a meet and greet on the upper level with the VIP winners. I tried to get my hands on a VIP pass from people who already met her and were leaving, but since others did that before me thesecurity guards caught on and weren't letting new VIP people up the balcony. I tried other methods of getting up and meeting the startlet, including trying to get an event pass, but this also failed. Alas, I got my coat from coat check and just lounged around a little bit more. It was a few minutes later when mass amounts of luck and of course blessings shone down upon me (yes, yes, I get cheesy sometimes too). This girl who also tried the VIP pass thing, was desperately trying to meet Kesha (way more than I was) to the point where she starting yelling "KESHA KESHA". Kesha finally heard from the balcony and was like "YEA?" and she's like "Can you come down and take a picture?" and Kesha was like "OF COURSE". She (the girl) looks at me and is like "DID YOU SEE THAT CONNECTION? I SAW A CONNECTION". I replied, "OH THERE WAS DEFINITELY A CONNECTION". This is when Kesha came running down in her sequenced diaper shorts and $ sign shirt.

Everyone started running and I was privledged to having been at the bottom staircase. Before reaching the bottom, she looks at me and I just give her this big hug. She smelt amazing. It was a combination of alcohol and some really hot perfume and "Keshaness". After the hug, I exclaim, "You're my fucking drug". This was a little play-on-words to her song "Your Love Is My Drug" and she noticed what I did as she gave me a little smile and acknowledgement then laughed. I asked her for a picture and she said
"Definitely", though there were so many people crowding that it became difficult. While people were doing self-pictures, she kept her eye on me and was like "Don't worry, I'll stand with you and we'll get it" and with this she stayed close to me. The security then decided to make everything more organized and moved everyone to the red carpet telling them to form a line. They told everyone to have their cameras ready and any one thing they wanted signed. I was beyond excited and was at the front of the line. I gave the photographer my camera, but before he took our picture I got another hug and told her "you're fucking gorgeous" as we hugged. She really was. I didn't think she was that much of a looker when I saw her videos, but in person she just had this amazing energy, persona, and sexiness about her. It was odd.

As I told her this, she laughed and we took our picture. After our picture, I asked her if she could autography my copy of "Animal" and she said "sure" and signed it in big initials. I wasn't done. I didn't want to just leave while she was still standing with me. So before ending my night I asked her, "Do you think I could get a kiss?". She looked at me, smiled, puckered her lips up, kissed my cheek, and replied "KISS" and then laughed in such a cute way. ADSKFJASDSTARSTRUCK! "Ke$ha's Party" was now a major party for me. From a VIP Red Carpet entrance to upclose seats, to meeting her and getting a kiss from her, the night was amazing. It's true, the party doesn't start till Kesha walks in.

Putting my excitement about meeting her and getting a kiss aside, the show itself was really intimate and entertaining. For an artist who is just starting out (as a live performer), she really had good stage precense. Between her choreography, props, and acting out of lyrics, she really knew how to put on a show despite not having a huge budget. She had a heavy backing track throughout the show, so some performances had some heavy lip synching, which was noticeable when she would act out some of her lyrics and her lips would be a tad off beat from the track that was playing. Compared to superstar Britney Spears though, who normally mimes the whole show, Kesha did predominantly sing and only used the backing tracking during heavy choreography instances. However, I'm still not convinced if she has the staying power and the dedication for the industry. Her lyrics have no substance, and her music isn't too different from what's already been done. She is attempting the "freak" style being all careless and party girl, though this hasn't worked for other artists including Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. However, what set's her apart from these two is that she seems like she knows what she's doing. Behind the party girl image, she knows what to do for success, and I think the most impressive thing about her debut album is that she co-wrote every song. Even if the songs are all about partying, throwing up in Paris Hilton's closet, or waking up feeling like P.Diddy, you have to give her credit that she is dedicated to making her record, herself.

So let's see how far she goes in her career. Will she have success with follow up singles and albums, or will she be a one hit/album wonder? While we wait and find out, I'll continue being excited about my meet with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Glad to hear you had such an awesome time! :)