Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What Went Wrong in the Glee Season Two Finale?

Season two of Glee just finished last night and I have to say, I wasn't really too pleased. There was so much hype leading up to the finale, New York, through the last few episodes, and I feel like it was just lacklustre. To start with, one of the things that bugged me the most was that in the episode before the finale Quinn told Finn she had a really big plan for nationals that would come in the way of them winning. I was excited to see what she would do, only to be disappointed when all it consisted of was getting Rachel and Kurt sent home so that the school loses. Although somewhat of a good plan, the disappointment came in when the plan was easily diminished through Santana and Brittany encouraging Quinn against it and taking her for a haircut.... yes, I know, I'm appalled as well.




Another disappointing moment in the episode was when the New Directions didn't win or yet, even place in the top 10 at nationals. I feel like the Glee creators followed the same formula that they did in the finale of season one, and this time it just didn't work. It irritates me because when Glee started it promised to be such an amazing and well scripted show and it did start off as such. However, as its popularity grew, its quality didn't. There were so many repeated and redundant plots with some being started and finished too quickly, some being started and not finished at all (Quinn and Beth), and some that were started and were dragged on for too long throughout the season. One critic reviewed the finale of the show and wrote a statement that I really like and agreed with:

Part of me would have liked tonight better if it had just stuck to its guns. You want to tease us? Fine. Let Will go to Broadway. Let Rachel disown her love for Finn, and keep it that way. Let Quinn actually try to destroy the Glee club because of her anger towards her sudden ex-boyfriend. But the fact that none of this happened - and the fact that we know none of it would ever happen - is just another issue I have with the show. I hope that next season, it actually grows a pair.
-Terron R. Moore, Ology.com




As much as I'm ragging on the episode, there were still some positive moments to the finale. Being shot in New York, the show had a really epic and big screen feel, which makes me ponder whether or not the producers of Glee would ever create a movie to either end the show, or the first chapter of it with the current members of New Directions. Additionally, the musical numbers of the show were well done as well. Following the original song trend they used in regionals, the original songs performed in the finale were refreshing and quite good. Brittany's My Cup was no exception.







I'm looking forward to season three, but I hope the creators make some changes in the show. More character and plot development would be a big start. Episodes in season two could easily stand alone without depending on others for continuity. Another interesting about season three will really be how the execute and terminate it. Many of the members of the New Directions will be graduating so I'm looking forward to see how they play all of that out. Depending on what materializes, season three might just be the last one I watch.




Look out for a post on my top 30 songs featured in the second season Glee coming up very soon.

No comments: